Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Reader's Block

I am really trying hard with 1776. I know it is a really good book and a riveting account of an important year in our country's history, but I am having a heck of a time with it. It's possible that all the military aspects of the book are not speaking to me. I have to say that I am enjoying the peek into George Washington's life - he is an intriguing character. I also love all the primary source material, mostly because I would love to be in some museum's library, poring over original letters and journals. But I just don't seem to be making much progress. As of last night, it was only March, 1776. That leaves a lot of the year. I have promised myself that I will finish this book before I go on vacation with my husband - I don't want 1776 hanging over my head - but I definitely have reader's block. Has this ever happened to you? What do you do? Do you abandon the book or is that against some rule you have for yourself? I am going to soldier on, as if I were a part of Washington's troops, but it's March in Boston and I'm not sure I can beat the British.

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed John Adams more than 1776, but as a history nerd, there was no doubt I was going to tear through both books. Regarding your question about what to do in this case, I had to go away from Ron Chernow's biography of Alex Hamilton a couple years back. It was just too big. Sadly, I have not made it back. I would advise pushing through unless you dislike it and don't plan to ever return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does not sound like a book that I would be interested in so I will probably not pursue it. When I do get readers block, I always make myself finish - it is the rule I have for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry you are not loving it - maybe in April it all turns around. I usually push through, but if it is really killing you - I say throw it to the wayside!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a very hard time abandoning a book. Goodreads mocks me everytime I login and tells me that I started "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" something like 395 days ago. Will I ever finish? I like to think I will push through it but it in the end it is up to you. I did read 1776 (in Aruba, coicidentally) and I will say that it moved slower than I thought as well. I think it took me a while to realize that this book was literally about just 1776 and not things that happend pre or post that year, where there might have been more action! Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete